North Albury 2640, New South Wales
- Sat, 14th September 2019
Inspired by Murray Art Museum Albury's current exhibition, Kevin Gilbert: A Message to be Heard, two contemporary poets will share their own spoken words in a special live poetry event.
Dr Jeanine Leane will speak politics through poetry, and Australian Poetry Slam Champion Melanie Mununggurr-Williams will add her voice and energy to the reflection on Kevin Gilbert's legacy.
Gilbert was a political activist - an instrumental figure in the Aboriginal land rights and sovereignty movement, participating in the 1972 establishment of the Aboriginal Tent Embassy in Canberra and the ‘Treaty 88’ campaign. He believed art was the most powerful tool to draw attention to continued injustices suffered by Aboriginal people, and to suggest ways forward.
This event is presented as part of the 2019 Write Around the Murray Festival, held over five days.
MAMA is open seven days a week, and entry to the museum is always free.
- Conference/Convention Facilities
- Family Friendly
- Non Smoking
- Parents Room
- Public Toilet
- Caters for people with sufficient mobility to climb a few steps but who would benefit from fixtures to aid balance. (This includes people using walking frames and mobility aids)
- Caters for people who use a wheelchair.
- Caters for people with high support needs who travel with a support person.
- Caters for people who are deaf or have hearing loss.
- Caters for people who are blind or have vision loss.